...for my marvelous Makeover Mood...
You know the type. Take one nerdy, frumpy, servant or savant. Whip off her glasses, de-pin the mousy brown hair, toss (and burn) that baggy green sweat suit. Then bathe in bubbles, perfume with Chanel, make-up, cut, curl, coif, drape her in slinky silver silk -- and WOW! The stunning new woman achieves whatever dream she has desired from afar. Herein I used only movies I've seen, and in no particular order. However, I gave a #1 nod to Audrey Hepburn's immortal portrayal of Eliza Doolittle, the quintessential makeover maiden.
1. My Fair Lady - the original (unless you count Pygmalion and the Greek myths, but who wants to get technical?)
2. Pretty Woman
3. Miss Congeniality
4. Grease -- Sandy takes it to another level.
6. Tootsie -- okay, technically not a "woman" being made over, BUT if you really study this movie as a great piece of character writing... wow. The layers of foreshadowing, mirroring, conflict, and characterization are amazing! Well worth a writer's time to study.
7. Now Voyager -- an oldie, but a goody. Bette Davis rocks. From frump to fashionista. Why? A man, of course. Ah......we'll have to work on that, won't we?
8. American Dreamer -- I love this movie. Striving romance writer wins contest, trips to Paris, conked on head, wakes up thinking she's a character in a book -- complete with couturier makeover scene.
9. Moonstruck -- Don't you just love it when Loretta walks out of that beauty parlor and a guy whistles at her for the first time in her life?
10. Princess Diaries
11. My Big Fat Greek Wedding
12. Legally Blonde
13. Maid in Manhattan - I enjoyed this movie in a popcorn sorta way. A lot of people don't like Jennifer Lopez, but I think, with some work, she's a good comic actress. Sort of Doris Day for her time -- but with sex added.
While researching this list I read excerpts from a book that concludes as a society we are NUTS for makeovers. Want to boost show ratings? Do makeovers. Want to write a bestseller? Include a makeover. From Cinderella to Now Voyager to Princess Diaries -- we are hopefully enamored of our ability to change from the caterpillar to the butterfly -- and win the day, if not also true love.