Thursday, May 08, 2008



As usual, I was contemplating a completely different T13 (involving a dictionary and a set of questions) when I stumbled upon the word "duck" and began to ... dare I say.... THINK.

How many ways do we use the word "duck"? Or close forms of "duck"? Here goes a list of ducky idioms, by no means complete and in no particular order.

1. sitting duck
2. lame duck
3. lucky duck
4. dead duck
5. duck out
6. ducks in a row
7. just ducky
8. duck the issue
9. duck soup
10. like a duck to water
11. water off a duck's back
12. ugly duckling (close!)
13. duck walk

In the bonus round: rubber ducky, disco duck, ducking and diving, AND... what do I invariably utter when I stub my toe OR burn my index finger using the hot glue gun (don't ask)..... "Fuck a duck!"



6 comments:

Pajama Dren said...

I LOVE this, in part because I'm always collecting expressions and the like that reference the word "goose." You know, like "Silly goose" or "His goose is cooked" or "What's sauce for the goose, is sauce for the gander." That last one's my fav!

Anonymous said...

My mother used to say "that's just ducky." I think it meant "what a predicament."

Duck Duck Goose was a fun game!

Gina Ardito aka Katherine Brandon said...

And don't forget the ever-popular-but-oh-so-wrong "duck" tape. Do you know how many people actually write "duck" tape instead of "duct" tape? Boggles the mind.

Zee said...

Oh, I do that all the time. Only I think I'm being funny. Ironic. Metaphoric. Oh well.

Ramblin' Rose said...

Here's one I'm looking forward to this winter: lame duck
ali

December said...

Great topic- next week, giraffes!! (oh no!!)